Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Upcycled TV Stand

By Liz

So my husband decided to build a TV stand for us since our son was driving us crazy playing with the TV on the small stand we had it on.  I didn't want to throw away the stand so I converted it into a small couch for my son. 
 
I started by taking off the top so it was a seat then I took the measurements and got to work. 
 
What You'll Need if you want to do this too:
-foam or padding
-material
-zippers
-old TV stand or furniture to add padding to
 
My sister-in-law had some leftover foam that I used but I've seen projects similar to this done with pillows and even stuffing.  Whatever you want to use should work.
 
Since I took the top off, it left some of the edges rough and sharp so I sanded them down. 
 
 
I cut the material for the cushion covers adding an inch to the measures to make sure I had enough for seam allowance and make sure I could still get the foam inside the cover.
 

 When you sew the cushion covers, you start by sewing the zipper on one side (close to the length of the cushion so you can get the foam inside when it's all put together) then sew all the sides together.  Then sew the sides to one of your top covers.  When you sew the sides to the top cover, make sure it is inside out so you can hide all the seams when you finish. 
 
The corners were difficult for me to figure out so my mother-in-law gave me some tips.  To sew the corners, you want to sew to the corner, lift the foot of your machine up, flip the corner seam to the side you just sewed, put your foot of the machine down and continue sewing.  I did back stitching at every corner to make sure they will last through kids.
 
Sew the other top cover piece to what you've already sewn the same way as before.  Flip inside out (iron if desired) and make sure all the corners are crisp and defined.


 
I found it easiest to sew this project when I pinned it, especially for those corners. 
 
 
This is how it turned out.  I sewed 4 cushion covers because that was the easiest way for my mind to do.  I like having the option to take the covers off and wash them since my son always seems to have messy hands. 
 
Happy sewing!



No comments:

Post a Comment