Wednesday, March 20, 2013

First Upholstering

 By Liz
 
Let me just say that reupholstering was no where near as difficult as I thought! I finally got up the guts to try it out.  I found this footstool at a local thrift store as well as the material I used to reupholster it. 
 
What you'll need:
-a piece of furniture to reupholster
-padding of some kind
-material
-staple gun and staples
-pins
-something to pry out previous nails/staples
 
This was what I started out with.  It was stained and not very pretty (obviously). 
 
 
As you take apart the furniture  you will want to take pictures.  Take as many as you need to make sure you can put it back together.  Also, take note of how the materials are layered and put together.  I started on the bottom and worked my way up.  The piping wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.  When I was putting the new product back together (from the top down) I used pins to hold the material where I wanted so that it didn't move when I stapled it.
 

 
Tah-dah!  That was it.  It took me about half a day to complete this footstool but now that I have the idea of reupholstering down I think the next one will go much faster.  

No comments:

Post a Comment